UNIMA 2017 Job Vacancy Vice-Chancellor
In the exercise of its statutory powers as provided in Section 10 of the University of Malawi (Amended) Act of 1998, the Council for the University of Malawi is hereby inviting interested and suitably qualified academicians and reputed scholars to fill the post of Vice-Chancellor which will soon become vacant.
The University of Malawi (UNIMA) is a public educational institution established in 1965. UNIMA runs four constituent colleges located in Zomba, Blantyre and Lilongwe. UNIMA is an accredited higher education institution. It offers courses and programmes leading to higher education qualifications i.e. certificates, diplomas, bachelors, honours, masters, and doctorate degrees in a wide range area of study. UNIMA also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, sport facilities and exchange programmes. UNIMA has capacity to enroll over 100 000 students.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The Vice-Chancellor is (accordance with Section 15 of the Act) the principal academic and administrative officer of the University.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The ideal candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor, must have a clear vision of the future of higher education and how it will impact University of Malawi; a clear understanding and appreciation of shared governance; a proven record of generating financial resources; and evidence of an ability to create effective linkages with external constituents and alumni; and astute leadership and relationship building skills necessary for him/her to, among other things:
- spearhead strategic planning, policy formulation and implementation targeted at making the University responsive to the needs of Malawi, in particular, and globally in general;
- provide vision, leadership, coordination, and strategic direction to a comprehensive array of services rendered by and programmes of, the University:
- provide innovative and forward-looking support to help integrate and coordinate the services of the various divisional units that report through the office of the Vice-Chancellor;
- foster the development and effective implementation of policies and UNIMA’s strategic plans;
- expand and leverage partnerships within the university across the country and beyond;
- mobilise resources necessary to achieve the mission of the University of Malawi;
- play a lead role in enhancing the reputation of the University;
- appreciate and add value to the Council’s efforts, and assist in building a world-class citadel of learning, where academic excellence is dispensed with good morals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
The required candidate, especially, is a person with not only a PhD degree from a reputable university in his/her field of specialization, but also must have an outstanding academic record with a great wealth of experience in teaching and research, and who has published well researched quality papers in local, national and international refereed journals; demonstrated academic leadership through the supervision and graduation of masters and doctoral students; participated in national and international seminars and conferences; has had experience serving as Faculty Dean, Vice- Principal, Principal and Pro Vice-Chancellor for at least ten (10) years and has demonstrable capacity to initiate academic and managerial innovations geared at making the University of Malawi a vibrant and competitive institution operating in tune with 21st Century global trends in tertiary education. Other attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- excellent knowledge about best practices in various professions; able to handle critical students welfare issues, acumen in conflict resolution, and higher education trends;
- excellent communicator and listener who is successful in being transparent with staff and students and who is able to earn the confidence and respect of academic and support staff;
- tangible evidence of fostering diversity and inclusivity, and equal opportunity for all students, faculty, and staff;
- emonstrable understanding of finances and a track record of effectively leveraging, managing and diversifying human, fiscal, and capital resources;
- demonstrable great character, personal and moral values, integrity and ethics; and a deep sense of personal humility;
TENURE OF THE POST AND REMUNERATION PACKAGE
The successful candidate shall be on a four-year gratuitable contract and be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of office based on interviews. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above conditions should submit their applications (3 copies), together with detailed curriculum vitae duly signed and dated not later than 23rd August, 2017. The curriculum vitae must include the candidate’s names in full; date of birth; academic qualifications; teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience; academic distinctions achieved; profile of resource mobilized through own initiative;membership of academic and professional bodies; number of post-graduate research students supervised; scholarly publications; names and addresses of three referees with their e-mail and postal addresses; and any other relevant information.
Hard copies of the application should be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked ‘Post of UNIMA Vice-Chancellor’ at the upper left hand corner to:
- The University Registrar
- University of Malawi
- P O Box 278
Electronic submission of the application and accompanying materials should be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line reading: Application for the Post of UNIMA Vice-Chancellor.
Deadline: 23 August, 2017