As part of the Government’s 2030 Goals to improve health care across all sectors,
NMSI Limited, has been awarded a contract to design and build 108No. mini-hospitals and 3No. 200-bed district hospitals across Zambia. Whilst the 1st 20No. mini-hospitals are nearing completion under the first phase of the programme, a further 88No. sites now need to be evaluated against strict site acceptance conditions and then subjected to detailed site surveys (geographical, topographical and environmental) so that the detailed design and construction phases can commence. The successful applicant to this position will need to have the ability to undertake comprehensive site evaluation surveys, that will ensure that only sites that satisfy key criterion are accepted. The role of the successful applicant will extend to off site assessments on access routes, area hydrological conditions, quality of local building materials, so that time and costs are not allocated to sites that are unacceptable.
REPORTING TO: Senior Operations Manager (Zambia)
To provide engineering services across the full spectrum of civil engineering disciplines for the construction and equipping of 88 mini-hospitals. The successful applicant will need to have sound technical ability as well as a pragmatic approach to civil engineering. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential sthat pre-construction survey reports are produced upon which site acceptance, or rejections assessments can be made.
1. Working as part of the Pre-Construction site acceptance survey teams, make engineering site assessments, both orally and in the form of written reports, on the suitably of proposed sites for constructions. This will involve the undertaking of pre-construction surveys of proposed mini-hospitals sites, ensuring that key engineering data, including general soil, hydrological and topographical conditions are evaluated and recorded so that acceptance or rejection reports can be produced.
2. Undertaken surveys and produce engineering reports on site access conditions, to include engineering assessments of river crossing, including bridges, so that such data can be included in the site acceptance report.
3. When required, working as part of the Delivery Team, to provide advice and support on civil engineering building standards are maintained and that sub-contractors are undertaking construction in accordance with the design requirements.
4. Undertaken other duties and responsibilities within the full parameters of the project as may be necessary in order to ensure programme goals and objectives are met.
This acts as selection criteria and gives an outline of the type of person and the characteristics required to do the job.
Experience:Substantial experience as Civil Engineer on new & occupied sites construction sites.Some experience and knowledge of MOH practices & procedures.
Skills/Abilities: Able to read and interpret technical drawings, including MEP drawings.
1. Able to produce programmes and work schedules.
2. Able to use Microsoft Office software i.e. Word & Excel or equivalent software & AutoCAD
3. Knowledge of RIBA (Plan of Work)
4. Specialist Knowledge: In depth knowledge of relevant legislation and statutory authority requirements.
5. Building Regulations and related compliance requirements.
6. Previous experience working on MOH projects
7. Education & Training: A relevant technical qualification in construction related subject and membership of an appropriate institute e.g. Institute of Clerk of Work or equivalent verifiable work-based experience and training. 2 – 3 years post-graduate experience
1. Knowledge of construction health & safety regulations & capable of producing guidance & advice on the application of construction safety standards Knowledge of environmental health standards within a construction project
2. Personal Attributes
3. Good leadership attributes
4. Strong communication skills
5. Confident & assured
6. Ability to communicate in key local languages/dialects
7. Valid Drivers Licence
Method of Application
If you meet the above criteria, email your Application Letter and curriculum vitae to Zambia.Jobs@nmsigrp.com
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of your application, please consider your application unsuccessful
Closing Date: 21/02/2020.