Botswana Wildlife Training Institute is a Government funded facility operating under the Department of Wildlife & National Parks (DWNP), Ministry of Environment, Wildlife & Tourism. The institute is adjacent to Maun Wildlife Educational Park on the eastern side of the Thamalakane River.
1. Japanese language course
There is a tailor made Japanese Course offered to interested participants on a part-time basis. The charges are per session (P20) and the minimum duration is 10 sessions.
2. Certificate in Wildlife Management- 1 Year Programme
This programme is intended for secondary school leavers seeking to pursue a career as Wildlife Rangers/Scouts in public,private or community establishments. Prospective candidates must possess the following:
– A minimum of BGCSE or equivalent from. A recognised educational institution with passes in Mathematics & Integrated Sciences or Biology.
3. Diploma in Wildlife Management- 2 year Programme
This programme is designed for both serving employees and prospective candidates in public & private sectors of Wildlife Management wishing to develop professional knowledge & skills.
The candidate must possess one of the following:
– Minimum of BGCSE or equivalent with at least second class pass with Credit in Mathematics & Biology or Integrated Sciences.
– A minimum of second class lower division certificate in wildlife management & conservation from BWTI or similar.
– A third class certificate in wildlife management and conservation from BWTI or similar/equivalent qualification from other recognised institutions and must have at least one year post certificate field experience in wildlife management or wildlife related fields.
4. Professional Guides programme- 19 weeks
The programme is designed to develop competencies for provision of guiding services for game viewing and photographic safaris. Candidates should have:
– A minimum of grade C or equivalent OR 30 points and above in BGCSE or COSC certificate
– Must possess a valid drivers license class B or above
– Must be a citizen of Botswana
– Be 20-40 years of age
– Be physically fit
– Submit a minimum of one A4 page of hand written justification for wishing to attend the course when required.
– Possession of a valid PDrP license will be an added advantage
– Pass both written & oral interviews administered by BWTI.
Students accessing these programmes may be eligible for consideration under the Government Grant/ Loan Scheme. The charges for training areas follows:
– Certificate: Off-campus P11 880 & Residential P17 820
– Diploma: Off-campus P11 880 & Residential P17 820
OTHER SHORT COURSES
– Customer Service (2 weeks)- P380
– Fire Management (1 week)- P200
– First Aid (2 weeks)- P380
– Radio Communication (2 weeks)- P380
– Problem Animal Control (6 weeks)- P1080
– Induction and Basic Training (11 weeks)- P1980
– Leadership Skills Enhancement Course (8 weeks)- P1440
– Professional Guide Course (6 weeks) P4320
For further information contact the office of the Principal or Registrar at 6860376 or write to us at the following address:
Botswana Wildlife Training Institute