Update on Prospective students for 2020 Academic Year
NOTICE TO PROSPECTIVE FIRST YEAR UNDERGRADUATE AND POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS FOR THE 2020 ACADEMIC YEAR
22 June 2020
The National University of Science and Technology (NUST) has received inquiries on the selection of First Year Undergraduate and Postgraduate students for the 2020 Academic Year following the publication of the list on the 11th of June 2020. We wish to advise as follows:
Faculty of Medicine
The selection for the First Year students for the 2020 Academic Year for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) programme is yet to be done. In keeping with NUST values of pursuing academic excellence with integrity, honesty and ethical behaviour, the selection process is done above board and in compliance with the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe (MDPCZ) and World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) Basic Medical Education WFME Global Standards for Quality Improvement of 2015, which Zimbabwe is a signatory of. For the benefit of prospective students, their parents/guardians and other key stakeholders, the selection process is explained further below in this communication.
All other Faculties
The selection for the First Year Undergraduate students in the Faculties of Applied Sciences, Engineering, Commerce, Communication and Information Science, Built Environment and Science and Technology Education were done but there are some issues that need to be addressed emanating from changes in the Zimbabwe Schools Examinations Council (ZIMSEC) Advanced Level curricular. Our computerised system did not recognise some new ZIMSEC subjects resulting in prospective students with the required entry subjects and points receiving rejection in their portals. Also, the list of prospective students for Parallel and Block Release programmes is yet to be published. The University is working on all inquiries and will publish a final list of selected students as soon as possible. We would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Postgraduate programmes, Special and Mature entry
The selection of prospective students for all postgraduate programmes as well as Special and Mature entry candidates have not been done. As usual, successful candidates will receive offer letters direct from Admissions and Student Records Office. We are appealing to the prospective students, parents/guardians and other stakeholders to bear with us as we process the applications.
Selection process for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
We wish to enlighten prospective students, their parents/guardians and other key stakeholders on the selection process for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) programme.
- Applicants shall submit an application form to the Admissions and Student Records Office after payment of the prescribed application fee.
- An initial selection of applicants who would have selected the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Degree is done using the Navision system.
- The Admissions and Student Records Office forwards the list of Navision selected applicants together with application forms to the Faculty of Medicine.
- A Selection Committee screens the candidates eligible for interviews, as recommended by the WFME. The Committee screens on the basis of appropriate required subjects, which are Chemistry (mandatory and prospective students are expected to have an A grade) and any two of the following – Biology, Physics and Mathematics. The selection Committee considers Chemistry and any best two of Biology, Physics and Mathematics giving a maximum of 15 points. For gender balance the minimum points required for female prospective students is 13 points while for male students is 14 points.
- The Selection Committee will comprise the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, 4 representatives each from the preclinical and clinicalbdepartments and a representative of the Admissions and Student Records as an observer.
- The Faculty of Medicine conducts background check-up of eligible candidates with their former schools and provides evidence thereof. Any potential students with negative background are not eligible.
- The Faculty of Medicine will invite eligible candidates for interviews using contact details provided in the application form. The interviews are split into two days as follows: (a) First day will be a written Examination comprising of 25 multiple choice questions (MCQ). (b) Second day will be an oral interview comprising 10 questions.
- Each of the interviewing panels will comprise of one representative each from the clinical and preclinical disciplines. The Pro-Vice Chancellor – Research and Academic Affairs or his representative will attend the interviews as an observer.
- After the interviews the Faculty of Medicine forwards to the Admissions and Students Records Office a list of the first 25 selected candidates, a list of those candidates on the reserve list and a list of unsuccessful candidates together with evidence of the basis of scores.
- The Admissions and Student Records Office will issue offer letters to selected candidates with a deadline for accepting the offer.
- Admissions and Student Records Office will inform the Faculty of Medicine of the candidates who would have not accepted the offer after the deadline.
- The Senior Assistant Registrar of the Faculty of Medicine will contact the candidates on the reserve list in order of ranking, starting with the highest.
- The Senior Assistant Registrar in the Faculty of Medicine should provide evidence of contact with the candidates who would have declined to take up the offer.
- The next placed candidate on the reserve list shall be offered the place.
- The information on the candidate(s) offered a place shall be submitted to the Admissions and Student Records Office.
- Registration before the commencement of lectures shall be preceded by the verification of students’ certificates by the Admissions and Student Records Office.
- The Faculty is mandated to comply with the recommended intake capacity of 25 students as guided by the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe (MDPCZ).
Phiri Acting Registrar