There are some good opportunities for expatriates wanting to work in Botswana. There are a number of websites that expats can use to look for jobs, including university and government websites, which typically include job postings.
With a stable democracy and high levels of development, Botswana is an ideal location for those seeking opportunities in Southern Africa. The country enjoys many thriving industries, in mining, tourism, and financial services amongst others. There are strong education and healthcare provisions, but it is advised to get good medical insurance to ensure a high standard of coverage. The country is one of the safest in Africa, with low crime rates and good transport links.
Botswana is a country located in southern Africa. The official languages are English and Tswana.
Below is a selection of resources for searching for employment opportunities as a foreigner in Botswana.
General Job Search Engines and Classifieds
With the sites below, you can expect to get a 0.5 to 1.0% response rate (people who will respond back to you to whom you sent your application/CV.) Nevertheless, I encourage you to give these sites a try as you never know what you will come up with or what connections you can make from a simple e-mail or application.
- Career Junction: Career Junction is a big South African job search site that has options for Botswana.
- Career Jet: I’m sure you’ve heard of Career Jet. They have job search options for Botswana.
Teaching English is an option (if you are a native English speaker that is). All of the sites below are pretty similar and have a massive amount of teaching English job options. Browse through each of the sites for any English job opportunities in Botswana. Also, be sure to check out this cool table from the International TEFL academy that shows how much money teachers can expect to make in various countries around the world.
- ESL Employment: Not the most beautiful interface, but who needs a pretty website when you have so many English teaching job options to choose from?
- Total ESL: Also an overly busy interface but a wealth of job postings for teaching jobs abroad.
- ESL Cafe: Dave does a great job in compiling some of the best job openings from around the world.
- Tesla: Big teaching jobs aggregator.
Overseas and Expat Job Portals
- Michael Page: An international executive recruitment website that I’ve used in the past. This site is targeted toward high-end job seekers.
- Overseas Jobs: I find that there is often a significant overlap between the postings on this site and that of other sites. Nevertheless, this site has been around for a while.
- Go Abroad: I’ve always been a fan of GoAbroad. In fact, on the visa information portion of my website, you will find where I have linked to their global embassies directory. They have a good job portal too.
- Linkedin: Last but not least, this huge professional social network is a resource for building contacts in the field and location of your interest.
There you have it. The best places to find jobs are in Botswana as a foreigner. For information on visas for Botswana, be sure to check out my Botswana visa page.
- How to Answer the 150 Most Common Job Interview Questions: Get sample answers to the most frequently asked job interview questions.
- Worldwide Jobs Guide: Be sure to check out my posts on how to find jobs in any country in the world.
- Worldwide Apartments Guide: If you are interested in renting an apartment in this country, take a look at my articles on how to find an apartment in various countries around the world.
- Worldwide Dating Guide: Also, check out my posts on the best online dating sites in 60+ countries around the world.
Can a Foreigner Get a Job in Botswana?
Botswana has one work visa, also known as a work permit, for all foreign employees working in the country under the Employment of the Non-Citizens Act. Employers cannot engage an employee unless they hold a valid Botswana work permit or a certificate of exemption.