Are you searching for details about the Botswana defence force recruit in 2022?
Do you wish to become a member of the renowned Botswana defense force (BDF)? If yes, we urge you to take your time as you read through this article.
This article has been carefully written to answer all questions about the Botswana defense force recruit.
The article covered areas like Botswana Defence Force Ranks and Salaries, Botswana Defence Force Officer Cadets, Botswana Defence Force Training, Botswana Defence Force 2020 Intake list and Botswana Defence Force Officer Cadets 2021, and more.
Brief History About BDF
The Botswana Defence force was established in the year 1977 under an act in the Parliament tagged ‘BDF Act No. 13 of 1977”. The defence force was created after a decade of the country’s independence year on September 30, 1966.
BDF ranks among the best defence force in the African continent. Drawn eulogies and admirations from around the world for boasting a solid defence force despite being a homegrown force.
The defense force was formed from the Police Mobile Unit (PMU) in 1977. And since then, the force has undergone a series of transformations to become a solid unit capable of protecting the country from foreign invasion.
The main force is the army. However, there is an air wing and also a riverine patrol contingent attached to the ground forces, with 10 Panther airboats and 2 Boston Whaler Raider class.
At independence in 1966, Botswana made a decision to not establish a standing military and focus instead on development and poverty alleviation.
Because of this decision, they created a small military police force for security.
However, cross border incursions by Rhodesian and South African security forces in the mid-1970s led the government to conclude that the country needed a military to protect its sovereignty.
The BDF was established by an act of Parliament on 15 April 1977.
Make Up Of Botswana Defense
Botswana Defence Force consists of three separate service components each of which is commanded by a major general:
- 1BDE GROUP, consists of 115 inf, 112 inf, 114 medium artillery, and 1Bde service support battalion.
- 2BDE GROUP, consists of 224 inf, 221 inf, 118 medium artillery, and 2Bde service support battalion.
- Air Arm command, has its own signals and logistics (HQ at Thebephatswe Air Base)
- Defence Logistics Command, HQ at Sir Seretse Khama Barracks (SSKB) in Gaborone
- 3 Brigade Group, based in Glen Valley, consists of 111 mar, 177 mechanised battalion and its logistics
The BDF Command and Staff College is located at Glenn Valley.
The BDF ground forces consists of the following units:
- 1 armored brigade
- 2 infantry brigades (one armored reconnaissance regiment, four infantry battalions, one commando unit, two air defense artillery regiments, one engineer regiment, and one logistics battalion.)
- One artillery Brigade
- An air defense brigade
- One engineering company and
- A signal company
Botswana Defense Force Intake List
In 2018, the Botswana Defence Force recruited interested Botswana citizens who applied for the year 2018 BDF applications. These candidates were selected from a long list of applicants who competed for positions at BDF.
Apply for our intake.
Botswana Defense Force Ranks And Salaries
The BDF salary structure was reviewed recently and this led to unrest among the soldiers.
The promotion of some diploma holders and an increase in their salary didn’t resonate with other soldiers who have served in the same capacity as these soldiers.
The Botswana defense force ranks and salaries are as follows:
- Certificate holders (B2) earn P3,372 – P4,044 per month
- C2 level earn P8,041 – P9,237 per month
- The lowest entry earns the B3 salary scale which is P2,808-3,358
- Diploma holders (C4/C3)earn P6,232-P7,448
- Diploma holders (D3 scale) P14,788-P16,326
Botswana Defense Force Recruit
Applicants who wish to become members of the BDF are required to meet certain eligibility criteria. Some of the criteria which you must meet to be selected at the BDF include:
- Must be citizens of Botswana and must fall within the age group of 18 – 24.
- You must be in stable health condition.
- Have a clean criminal record.
- If you are applying for the position of officer cadets, you must possess a degree.
- For Privates, you must not have less than 30 points in BGCSE and a post-Secondary school certificate.
Botswana Defense Force Officer Cadets
The Defence Force recruits both private and officer cadets who undergo different kinds of training. The privates undergo a 6months period of training while the office cadets are subjected to a 12months period of training.
Botswana Defense Force Training
During the BDF training exercise, cadets are subjected to basic military training where they are taught the core values of BDF.
The privates undergo their training at the Pandamatenga Training Camp while Officer Cadets do theirs at the Paje Officer Academy.
At the end of the military training, successful trainees will be sent to different units within the Botswana Defence Force for specialization training. These units include combative and non-combative units.
Under the combat units, officers receive training on the rudiments of handling military equipment as well as defending themselves against and non-combat units entail technical training.
Once you meet the recruitment requirements, you will become a member of the Botswana Defence Force.
Official Application Website
Below are the roles they are currently recruiting for. We recommend you apply early to give yourself the best chance of being selected.
They’ll consider late applications but can’t guarantee you’ll make your preferred intake. Even if you don’t see the role you’re after below, still apply now as not all roles are listed. Please note that roles and dates are subject to change.
INTAKE TYPE APPLICATIONS-CLOSE SELECTION-CONFIRMED COURSE-TARTS COURSE-ENDS
Officer Induction Course 21/1
Recruit Regular Force 400
Recruit Regular Force 401
Recruit Regular Force 402
Recruit Regular Force 403
INTAKE TYPE APPLICATIONS CLOSE SELECTION CONFIRMED COURSE-STARTS COURSE-ENDS
Recruit Regular Force 404