The minimum wage has been revised in Botswana, with effect from 01 January 2022. The minimum wage has increased from P6. 77 to P7. 34 per hour.
A minimum wage is the lowest remuneration that employers can legally pay their employees—the price floor below which employees may not sell their labor. Most countries had introduced minimum wage legislation by the end of the 20th century.
The minimum wage has been revised in Botswana, with effect from 01 January 2022. The minimum wage has increased from P6.77 to P7.34 per hour. For the domestic as well as agriculture sector, the minimum wage has been increased from P1000 per month to P1084 per month.
For more information on changes, please refer to the minimum wage pages:
Note: This minimum wage increase might not reflect the inflationary trends.
- Valid in November 2022
- Minimum wage with effect from 01 January 2022.
- The amounts are in Pula Botswana (P).
|Per hour||Per month|
|Construction of buildings, Exploration, and Quarrying Industries||P7.34||–|
|Wholesale Distributive Trades||P7.34||–|
|Hotel, Catering, and Entertainment||P7.34||–|
|Garage, Motor Trade, and Road Transport||P7.34||–|
|Manufacturing, Service, and Repair Trades||P7.34||–|
|Retail Distributive Trades||P6.34||–|
|Watchmen Employed in Industries and Trades||P7.34||–|
|Security Guards Employed by Security Companies||P7.34||–|
|Domestic Service Sector||–||P1,084.00|
|Agriculture, forestry, and fishing||–||P1,084.00|
- If the working week is 5 days, then the working day may not be more than 9 hours and a period of rest totaling 1 hour should be provided during the day. If the working week is more than 5 days, then the working day may not be more than 8 hours or more than 48 hours in a week. A break of at least 30 minutes must be given after 5 consecutive hours of work.
Despite the revision, the Botswana Federation of Trade Unions (BFTU) says the new minimum wage rates do not match living expenses and it proposes a living wage rather than a minimum wage.
Wages per month are calculated as 4.33 times if a weekly wage is defined. It is calculated as 4.33 times the standard hours per week if an hourly wage is given.
Press Release of Ministry of Employment, Labour Productivity and Skill Development, Botswana, dated 6 December 2021
Employers are advised to adhere to the new policy by ensuring that they do not pay their employees below the stipulated new minimum wage rates. Failure to do so will be a violation of Section 1389 of the Employment Act Cap. 47:01. The offense is punishable in terms of Section 151 of the same act.
MORE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT
- Minimum Wages around the World
- News about Minimum Wages
- Minimum Wage and Labour Law
- Minimum Wage Regulations
- About the Minimum Wages Database
- This page is maintained by Wageindicator.org, 2022. WageIndicator constantly researches and updates the minimum wage rate. However, some information in the tables may not be accurate. If you find an error, please let WageIndicator know by filling out the contact form.
What is the minimum wage increase for 2022?
From 1 July 2022, the National Minimum Wage will increase by 5.2%, which amounts to $40 a week. The new National Minimum Wage will be $812.60 per week or $21.38 per hour.
What is a good salary in Botswana?
The gross salary range for people working in Botswana is typically from 2,243.00 BWP (minimum salary) to 15,720.00 BWP (highest average, the actual maximum salary is higher). This is the total monthly salary including bonuses. Salaries can vary drastically among different job categories.
What is the lowest salary rate?
The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour.
How much is the monthly salary in Botswana?
Average Wages in Botswana increased to 6299 BWP/Month (488.928 USD/Month) in the fourth quarter of 2021. The maximum rate of the average wage for employees was 6533 BWP/Month and the minimum was 3447 BWP/Month.