The PNG Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide come with Algebra – Equations and identities, formulae, sequences, graphs, quadratics, inequalities. Geometry and measures – Area and volume, transformations, circles, trigonometry, Pythagoras, vectors, constructions.
Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide and Topic Outline
The Grade 8 mathematics study guide is the summary of the mathematics topics students study in Grades 7 and 8. The Grade 8 math syllabus and teachers’ guides are for teachers to plan their teaching programs. They can do that easily because they are trained and know what to do.
Grade 7 and 8 Math Revision Topics
Students, parents and guardians will have difficulty trying to understand the syllabus. And know the ‘exact’ topics and units that the children learn. That is why we list the core contents in the Grade 8 Mathematics Revision Guide to make it understandable and put in perspective the topics that are taught ar Grades 7 and 8.
It is perhaps important to note that the cores units and topics in this Grade 8 Mathematics revision guide are taken from the Outcome-Based Education school syllabus for Grades 6, 7 and 8 (Upper Primary School).
Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide
Covering the content units is fundamental to students achieving good marks in Grade 8 Mathematics assessments and end-of-the-year examinations. Here are three pointers about the use of the mathematics study guide for grade 8. Refer to the link at the end of this article to download the PDF version of the Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide.
- The outline is based on the 2005 published Grade Syllabus under the OBE curriculum. For more info, refer to the new Junior Secondary School Mathematics Syllabus under the SBC (Standard Based Curriculum) for the realignment of the Core Mathematics Content areas (as well as the Units & Topics)
- The teaching and learning outline in the Guide is the list of Mathematics topics at students are expected to study at Grades 7 and 8. It forms the structure that supports teaching (TEACHERS), learning (STUDENTS), Assessments (SCHOOL-BASED) and Examinations (NATIONWIDE ASSESSMENTS). It is an outline. Hence new and experienced Mathematics teachers at Grade 7 and 8 levels should cover those topics in depth.
- Teaching the content well at Grades 7 & 8 levels closes the ‘GAP’ and paves way for students to master senior school mathematics with ease.
Standard-Based (SBE) Mathematics syllabus
The Department of Education has released the *NEW* Standard-Based (SBE) school syllabus (published, 2018) under two categories:
- Junior (Grades 3 – 5) mathematics syllabus.
- Senior (Grades 6 – 8) mathematics syllabus
Get your copy – go to this page to download (PDF)
The SBE school syllabus is now used in schools across the country. That means that there is a re-alignment of core contents, units and topics. Download and consult the new SBC senior and junior school syllabus for more information.
Download Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide
In this Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide, we lay out the compulsory units in Grades 7 to 8 coursework. As mentioned earlier, the intent is to help students to know about what they are studying at these levels. The Grade 8 students can also use the math guide to plan their mathematics revisions. And prepare for major tests and Grade 8 examinations at the end of the year.
It is a document to help Grade 8 students identify (and confirm) what they are learning in the classroom. It can also be a good guide for arranging exam questions like what we did for Grade 10s here (Grade 10 mathematics revision questions and answers arranged by Core Contents and Unit of Study).
Get your copy – Download Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide (WORD DOC)
Outline: Grade 8 Mathematics Study Guide
Grade 8 Core Contents & Focus units: Here is the outline of the Grade primary school syllabus content. See the link to download the editable MS Word document.
1. Number and Application
1.4. Number Sequence
1.7. Directed Number
1.8. Indices & Scientific Notation
2. Space and Shape
2.3. Radius and Diameter
2.8. Directions and bearings
2.11. Distance and Time (SPEED)
2.12. Currency Rates
2.13. Wages and Salaries
3. Chance and Data
3.1. Range, Mean, Mode and Median
3.3. Statistics Tables
3.4. Estimation/Rounding off
4. Patterns and Algebra
4.1. Formulae and Processes (Substitution)
4.2. Expand Algebraic Expressions
4.3. Factorise Algebraic Expressions
4.4. Solving Equations
4.5. Algebra Word Problems