Gwamile vocational and commercial training institute Mechanical Engineering
The aim of this Course Outline is to provide students intending to join or take any course offered by Gwamile VOCTIM with information related to the trainees carrier.
The web page describes in full the following:
- Occupational Profile
- Training Plan
- General training aims
- Training Outline
- Training Programme
It is expected that candidates will after going through the web page have a clear understanding and make an accurate choice. This is also intended to provide a guide to companies who wish to send their personnel for training and recruit trainees.
The department offers basic and advanced programmes in a three year period.
Metal Fitting and Metal Machining basically Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC).
OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE OF A MACHINIST/FITTER
AFTER GOING THROUGH THE UNDERLYING TRAINING PROGRAMME THE MACHINIST/FITTER IS QUALIFIED TO:
- Manufacture and repair parts
- Fit and assemble parts
- Maintain and repair machinery
IN THE AREA OF:
Maintenance and Repair
THEIR TASKS INVOLVE:
- Manufacturing and repairing defective machine parts
- Inspection, maintaining, dismantling alignment, adjustment and assembling of machinery and equipment
THEIR PRIMARY TASKS:
- Reading specifications and drawings.
- Measuring and marking out components
- Setting up and operating machine tools
- Shaping metal components to precise dimensions using lathes, millers, shapes etc.
- Carrying out basis heat treatment and testing of materials
- Lubricating, servicing and maintaining machinery and equipment
- Finding faults, dismantling, inspecting replacing parts and reassembling
- Aligning, adjusting clearances using precision measuring equipment
- Soldering, brazing and welding all broken parts
- Attending basic electric, pneumatic and hydraulic problems
- Heat treating, testing materials
- Observe all safety precautions in the trade
- Apply basic Entrepreneurship skills
The tasks are performed without supervision and include independent planning, execution and control.
The relevant laws, regulations and instructions are to be observed