An official document issued by a government, identifying an individual, granting permission to travel abroad, and requesting the protection of other governments for him or her. A license granted by a state to a foreigner, allowing the passage of his or her person or goods through the country.
Botswana passports are issued by the Passport Division of the Department of the Ministry of Nationality, Immigration, And Gender Affairs to citizens of Botswana for international travel.
On 8 March 2010, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship began issuing electronic passports to the general public. The validity of all Botswana non-electronic passports expired on 31 December 2011.
The Botswana passport, which features 48 pages, is written in English and French. The first page features a map of Botswana superimposed with wildlife.
As of 2014, the Botswana passport was the 4th most powerful on the African continent, allowing Batswana citizens to travel to at least 70 countries visa-free 28 with a visa on arrival and 121 requiring a visa. The passport is ranked 58th in the world.
All Botswana citizens are required to have a Botswana passport to travel abroad.
Who is eligible?
All citizens of Botswana
How do I get this service?
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps;
- Fill and submit the Application for Passport Form to any immigration office countrywide (contact information provided below).
- Submit payment (listed below) along with the application form.
- In the case of parent(s) or guardian(s) applying for an e-passport for persons aged 16 years or younger, bring the child to the office when submitting the application.
- Check the outcome of your application from the Office in which the application was made;
- After five (5) working days (if applied outside Gaborone).
- Within three (3) working days (if applied in Gaborone).
What supporting documents are required?
For persons aged sixteen (16) years and above
- Original and one (1) certified copy of a National Identity card (Omang)
- Citizenship certificate of parents and/or applicant if parents were once foreign nationals (seek Clarification from Passport and Citizen Officers).
- National Identity card details for parent(s) as well as details of parent’s place of birth.
- Old passport (physical copy) and for a lost passport bring the police report or affidavit before the commissioner of oath. The forms are collected by the applicant or parent if under sixteen (16) years of age.
For children under sixteen (16) years of age
- Original and one (1) certified copy of the birth certificate
- Original Omang Card of parent(s).
- Guardian’s original Omang Card (in case of deceased or missing parents).
- Death certificate(s) of deceased parent(s) if applicable.
- Letter from the District Commissioner, Chief, or Social Worker for proof of guardianship in the case of guardian(s) applying for the child’s e-passport.
- Old passport of the child.
- Citizenship certificate of parents and/or owner (registration) if parents were once foreign nationals (seek clarification from Passport and Citizen Officers).
How long will this service take?
- The passport takes five (5) working days to process (if applied outside Gaborone).
- The passport takes three (3) days (if applied within Gaborone).
How much does it cost?
- Children under 14 years: BWP 100.00.
- Persons over 14 years BWP 260.00
How much does it cost to get a passport in Botswana?
Botswana Passport and coming application fees
|Passport (renewal, change of name)||P260.00 / SEK230|
|Passport (lost, damaged)||P1260.00 / SEK1100|
|Emergency Travel Document||P12.00 / SEK12|
|Omang (Renewal, change of name)||P5.00 / SEK5|
How long does it take to make a passport in Botswana?
The passport takes five (5) working days to process (if applied outside Gaborone). The passport takes three (3) days (if applied within Gaborone).
What 3 items are needed to get a passport?
- Original proof of citizenship document.
- An acceptable photo ID document.
- A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document and photo ID document.