Botswana, a landlocked African country known for its political stability and multi-party democracy, is widely regarded as having some of the best wilderness and wildlife areas on the African Continent
The visitor’s visa is issued to people visiting Botswana for social reasons such as:
- Visiting friends or relatives.
- Obtaining medical treatment.
- Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations.
- Participation by amateurs in musicals, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating.
- Enrolment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation).
- For the visa to remain valid, the applicant must not work for, provide services or sell goods to businesses or the public in Botswana. The visa is valid for up to 2 years for dependents of residents.
Who is eligible?
All foreigners who require visas to enter Botswana as visitors are eligible for this service.
How do I get this service?
- Go to any immigration office (contact information listed below), Botswana embassy, or consulate to fill and submit Form 1 (Application for Visa) in person.
- Submit the required documents (listed below) with the application form.
- Check the outcome of your application from the office where the application was submitted after seven working days.
- An approval/rejection letter is sent to the office where the application was made.
- If the Visa application is approved, it will be printed at the office where the application was made. If the visa is not yet printed, the applicant can travel with the approval letter as proof of a visa to Botswana, and the visa will be printed at the Airport/Immigration Ports of Entry.
What supporting documents are required?
The following documents are required to be submitted with the application form:
- Certified copy of pages 1 and 2 of passport showing validity period not less than six months.
- Two recent colored passport-size photos.
- Covering letter.
- Flight itinerary and accommodation bookings or residential address in Botswana.
- A re-entry permit to the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident if such a permit is required by that country.
- Sworn statement by the host signed at the immigration office.
- A certified copy of the host’s national identity, residence permit, work permit, exemption certificate, or naturalization certificate.
- Letter of Intent to depart Botswana after your trip.
- Financial proof of support.
How long will this service take?
It takes seven to fourteen days after the date of application for the service to be completed.
How much does it cost?
- Single entry for a period up to 3 months BWP 300.00 (US$30)
- Multiple entries for period of up to 3 months BWP 500.00 (US$50)
- Multiple entries for up to over three months up to 2 years for dependents of residents BWP 1 500.00 (US$150)
Where can I obtain this service?
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices, and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration, and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free: 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
How do you get a visa?
Four Steps to Help You Apply for a Visa
- Pay your visa fee,
- Obtain acceptable photographs,
- Complete your online DS-160 visa application,
- Get a list of all required documents you must bring, and.
- Schedule your visa interview appointment.
How long does it take to get an electronic visa?
How long does it take to get an e-Visa? Once the application is submitted with the complete information, it will be processed within the shortest possible time. However, it is recommended to lodge your Visa Application at least 4 days in advance as processing times might vary based on each Visa Application.
How much does the tourist visa cost?
Visa Types and Application Fee Amounts
The application fee for the most common nonimmigrant visa types is US$160. This includes tourist, business, student, and exchange visas. Most petition-based visas, such as work and religious visas, are US$190.
How many countries can a Botswana passport enter without a visa?
The Botswana passport ranking is 63; the number of visa-free destinations accessible with a Botswana passport is 87. Please note, the list of visa-free countries is calculated to reflect the number of countries Botswana passport holders can enter without a visa, through a visa on arrival, and through the eTA.
Can I apply for a visa online?
Apply for Visa Online
For example, you can apply for a visa online in India. Before applying online, make sure you would be able to provide all required documents needed by the country on the date of your visa interview. Applicants can apply for Indian Visa Online by using Online India Visa Registration.