How to Apply for Land in Botswana

This is a service where citizens of Botswana may apply, purchase or lease un-allocated urban land in different areas of Botswana. Allocation of land is administered by the Department of Lands under the Ministry of Land Management, Water, and Sanitation Services. Applicants who are allocated land through outright purchase will be granted a title deed as evidence of their right upon payment of the plot purchase price. Where land is allocated on a lease basis, a memorandum of the lease agreement will be entered into between the Government and the allottee.

Multi-family residential and non-residential plots are advertised in the following media:

  • Botswana Government Gazette
  • The Daily News.
  • Privately owned newspapers

Who is eligible?

  • Citizens 18 years and above
  • Batswana owned companies

Residential plots are allocated through a waiting list process through the State Land Integrated Management System (SLIMS). However, defective residential plots are disposed of through tendering process.

How do I get this service?

Applicants must complete and submit the Residential Application Form to the Department of Lands. (Receipt of applications for residential plots in state land is currently suspended). 

The Department of Lands will then issue an application reference number and the application will be placed on the SLIMS waiting list.

  • When plots are available, selected applicants will be issued with provisional offer letters and must then provide proof of their ability to purchase and develop the plot within the prescribed time. 
  • Applicants are responsible for informing the Department of Lands of any changes in their personal details and contact information.
  • For non-residential plots, the tender document will detail the terms and conditions of purchase or leasing.
  • Non-Citizens and foreign-owned entities may apply through the investment facilitation agencies like Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC), Selebi-Phikwe Economic Diversification Unit (SPEDU), or Sectoral Ministries such as the Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security.

What supporting documents are required?

The following documents are required for residential plot applications:

  • ​​Certified copy of a valid National Identity Card (Omang).

The following documents are required for non-residential plot applications:

A completed tender proposal in line with the specifications found in the advertisements

How long will this service take?

6 months when land is available

How much does it cost?

Type of PlotResidential PlotsCommercial PlotsIndustrial Plots
 High Density(multi- family residentialUpper IncomeLower Income (SHHA)Local Centres & Multi-purposeRoad Only ServedRoad & Rail Served
Selibe- Phikwe 70.0016.00200.00150.00200.00

Where can I get more information on this Service?

For more information and to submit applications customers can contact either of the two regional Land offices. 

Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services
Department of Lands
AKD House Main Mall
Private Bag 00128
Tel. (+267) 3682100
Fax. (+267) 3913941

Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services
Department of Lands
Legal Services Division
​2nd Floor, Attorney General’s Chambers
Tel. (+267) 3613600

Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services
Department of Lands
Regional Lands Office
Plot 252/2567, Old BGI building
Private Bag F262
Tel. (+267) 2416333/2455400

Opening hours are from 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays.​​​

How can I get farmland in Botswana?

You should visit the nearest District Agricultural Office or Sub District Agricultural Offices {see address details}. State the reason for your visit, and required information about the land and submit the supporting documents {see required document section below} to the agent in charge for processing.

At what age can you apply for land in Botswana?

Who is eligible? All citizens of Botswana aged 18 years and over are eligible to apply for available tribal land in any tribal territory or area in Botswana.

Who can own land in Botswana?


Seventy percent of the land in Botswana is tribal land, 25% is state land, and 5% privately-owned freehold land (ROB 2002). The following are the recognized tenure types: Private ownership. Individuals and entities can obtain private ownership rights to individual parcels of land through land purchase.

How many plots can one own in Botswana?

Dr Mzwinila said the law provides that no person must own more than one plot of tribal land. As a result, he said, the ministry will clean the waiting list to ensure that only people who are yet to own residential plots are the ones who put forward when the land allocation process is expedited.

What is tribal land in Botswana?

Tribal land includes leasehold ranches and some areas designated for wildlife. Owners of freehold land have title to the land they hold under leasehold, normally 99 years renewable.