The word actor refers to a person who acts regardless of gender while actress refers specifically to a female. The Dictionary states that originally the term Actor was used for both sexes.
An actor or actress is a person who portrays a character in a performance. The actor performs “in the flesh” in the traditional medium of the theatre or in modern media such as film, radio, and television.
An actor (actress; for females) is an artist who creates a
the real-world environment of joys and sorrows for the audience. The job of an actor is to infuse emotions through gestures in the audience to take an action towards a cause without asking for it while still keeping them entertained. The actor is a personality who educates society through entertainment.
With the popularization of electronic media, including TV, Internet and Mobile phones the demand for quality actors is on the rise. They are needed in every walk of life to work for different sectors of society. They play different roles and portray characters in television, stage shows, radio and motion pictures. They entertain the audience through gestures, hand and body movements, and voice modulation. They interpret the writer’s script to entertain or inform an audience.
Role of an Actor
- Study scripts and discuss them with directors and producers before accepting the role.
- Give multiple auditions for various roles.
- Study the character and the script before the portrayal.
- Attend workshops and rehearsals for the role.
- Follow the director’s instructions for the role.
- Portray and interpret roles, using speech, gestures, and body movements.
- Take part in promotional campaigns by giving interviews or attending events related to movies or plays.
- Coordinate with other crew members like photographer, choreographer and music director.
Skills of an Actor
Oratory Skills: Actors, whether stage actors or television and movie actors, should have excellent oratory skills. They should have the right pitch to deliver the lines designed for the character.
Comprehension Skills: An actor should have the ability to read and analyze the script with ease. An actor shall not be able to give the best if he or she has not understood the character.
Memorization Ability: An actor and especially a stage actor should have excellent memorization powers. Actors are required to memorize long and complex dialogues. Television actors get very little time to memorize scripts.
Creativity: An actor should be innovative while portraying a character. They should be able to interpret the characters’ feelings and motives in the most believable way.
Pros and cons of an Actor
- Instant fame and possibility of celebrity status.
- Scope of displaying one’s talent and creativity.
- High pay especially for established actors.
- Flexible working hours.
- Awards and recognition worldwide.
- Hectic and tiring schedule.
- No private life.
- One has to be extremely talented to survive in the competitive market.
- Good pay packet only for senior artists.
- Be prepared for rejection and failure.
- Very short-lived career.
Media, Communications and Entertainment Careers
How can I apply to be an actress?
Steps to becoming an actor
- Train to become an actor. There are no formal educational requirements for actors, but training is a good place to start.
- Prepare your headshot, acting résumé, and demo reel.
- Submit to auditions and casting calls.
- Gain experience to improve your résumé and reel.
- Get signed by an agent.
What is the best country to become an actress in?
Best countries to study acting
- Acting in USA.
- Acting in UK.
- Acting in Canada.
- Acting in Ireland.
- Acting in Germany.
How do I become an actress with no experience?
Consider these options.
- Take acting classes.
- Enroll in a formal acting program.
- Join a local theater group.
- Research and practice acting techniques.
- Watch performances and take what resonates.
- Consider taking on special skills. …
- Learn how to audition.