Vehicle registration proves that your vehicle is safe to drive on the road and that you have paid the proper fees and taxes associated with your state’s DMV. This differs from the Title of a vehicle, which (explained above) is proof of ownership and other information about the car.
Vehicle registration in the Government vehicle registration system, to facilitate the issuance of registration book and vehicle license disk.
Who is eligible?
Citizens and residents who own a vehicle.
How do I get this service?
- Download and complete the Vehicle Registration Form(RV 1) form, then attach the clearance form from Botswana Police Service and BURS.
- If the applicant is registering a vehicle that is more than three years and above (from the year of manufacture), it must have passed a roadworthiness test. All vehicles must have customs clearance too.
- Pay the prescribed fee as per the vehicle weight including a levy of BWP50.00.
- It is mandatory for vehicle licenses to be renewed annually, ideally 3 months before expiry.
What supporting documents are required?
- Valid applicable identity.
- Police Clearance Certificate.
- The required fee as per vehicle weight.
- Note: Roadworthiness test is compulsory for vehicles three years and above (from the year of manufacture).
- Customs clearance.
How long will this service take?
How much does it cost?
As per the pricing schedule for Vehicle Registration and Licencing (see gazetted fees).
Where can I obtain this service?
Department of Road Transport and Safety Offices around the country.
Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays.
Where can I get more information on this Service
Department of Road Transport and Safety
Public Relations Office
Botswana Savings Bank Building
Private Bag 0054
Tel. (267) 368-8600
Fax. (267) 397-1117/1114
How much is a change of ownership on a car in Botswana?
Individuals and Companies BWP 169.00.
How much is the import duty on cars in Botswana?
When it comes to the customs duty for importing a vehicle to Botswana, you will pay 27 percent while the VAT that the local authorities charge is 12 percent. This information is only for your reference. For up-to-date information please visit your governmental official source.
How much is car duty in Botswana?
Duties and taxes
Only one car per family is duty-free. Subsequent entries or more than one car per family are subject to 15 percent – 20 percent VAT of CIF Value.
How long does customs clearance take in Botswana?
between 3 weeks to 4 months
Between filing the paperwork, perfecting the packaging, cross-border delivery, Customs clearance, and local delivery within Botswana it may take anywhere between 3 weeks to 4 months (or more!) to get a parcel delivered to your recipient.