LCE Certificate in Early Childhood Education – CECE
This programme started in 2007 and leads to the award of a Certificate in Early Childhood Education (CECE) is designed for the education and training of teachers and caregivers who are or will be responsible for children aged three to six, whether in community based centres, home based centres, pre-primary schools or the reception classes of primary schools. Currently the programme is organised for in-service participation, but it is intended to be adaptable for pre-service use at a later stage. In its in-service, part-time form, the programme is of two years’ duration. There are four contact sessions of five weeks duration each. In addition, the practical work of trainees, in their usual work sites, is monitored and assessed during the two year period by supervisors both from the Ministry of Education and Training and from the College.
The taught courses in the programme form three groups, as listed below: education, general and subject/method courses. The course descriptions are arranged in the same sequence. The number of credits used for assessment purposes for each course is shown in brackets.
1. Approaches to Teaching and Materials Development (4)
2. Child Development (3)
4. Educational Foundations (3)
5. Child and Parent Counselling and Special Educational Needs (4)
6. Management of IECCD Centres and Community Relations (3)
7. Transition to Primary Education (3)
1. Communication Skills (3)
1. Life Skills (3)
2. Computer Awareness and Skills (3)
3. Health, Nutrition and Safety (4)
Subject and Method Courses
1. Language Activities (2)
1. Mathematics Activities (2)
2. Science activities (2)
3. Social and Environment Activities (2)
4. Expressive Arts (2)
5. Music and Psychomotor Activities (2)
6. Portfolio Project (4)
The assessment of practical teaching and child-care will carry 15 credits.