Can I travel to Botswana? Botswana is open for travel without any quarantine or testing requirements
Borders are usually defined as geographical boundaries, imposed either by features such as oceans and terrain, or by political entities such as governments, sovereign states, federated states, and other subnational entities.
The German Federal Foreign Office lifted the warning against non-essential tourist travel to Botswana on Thursday (01 October) but continues to advise against non-essential tourist travel to the country. The number of infections is very low. Gaborone was mostly affected so far. Only Botswana nationals or foreigners with valid residence permits are allowed to enter the country.
General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in Operation
For the latest update please read the General COVID-19 Travel Advisory >
Latest Travel Alert
Citizens planning to travel abroad should take into account the ongoing risk of testing positive for COVID-19 while abroad and are advised to take out comprehensive travel insurance that includes COVID-19 coverage. Before departure and during travel, citizens are advised to monitor our Travel Advice, follow us on Twitter, and register with their nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.
Travel to Botswana
In weighing decisions to travel to Botswana at this time, Irish citizens should take into consideration the risk of restrictions being introduced during their travel and, also, the impact which responding to COVID-19 may have on local healthcare systems over the course of their proposed visit.
Current Requirements for Entering Botswana
1. If you are fully vaccinated a negative PCR test is not required. You will be considered fully vaccinated if you meet any of the following criteria:
a) Received 2 doses of a 2-dose primary series vaccine and is not yet due for a booster shot.
b) Received 1 dose of a single dose primary series vaccine and is not yet due for a booster shot.
c) Received 2 doses of a 2 dose primary series vaccine and booster shot.
d) Received 1 dose of a single dose primary series vaccine and booster shot.
2. If you are partially vaccinated having received 1 dose of a 2-dose primary series vaccine and are not yet due for a 2nd dose, then a negative PCR test is required.
3. If you are partially vaccinated having received 1 dose of a 2-dose primary series vaccine and are due for a 2nd dose, then a negative PCR test is required, and the 2nd shot of the vaccine will be administered at the port of entry.
4. If you are partially vaccinated having received a full primary series vaccine and are eligible for a booster dose, then a negative PCR test is required and a booster shot will be administered at the port of entry.
5. If you are Unvaccinated a negative PCR test is required and 1 shot of a primary series of vaccination will be administered at the port of entry.
Please note that for those not fully vaccinated, vaccination is conducted at all ports of entry
General Travel Advice
Because there is no Irish Embassy in Botswana, we’re limited in the help we can offer you in an emergency. The best help is often close at hand so if you have problems, try talking to your local contacts, tour operator representative, or hotel management.
If there is an emergency, or if you need help and advice, you can contact the Irish Embassy in Pretoria South Africa, or the Honorary Consulate of Ireland in Gaborone, Botswana.
Get travel and medical insurance
Before traveling, the Department strongly recommends that you obtain comprehensive travel insurance which will cover all overseas medical costs, including medical repatriation/evacuation, repatriation of remains, and legal costs. You should check any exclusions and, in particular, that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake.
Do you need visa to go to Botswana?
U.S. citizens are permitted stays up to 90 days total within a 12-month period without a visa. The total stay permitted for each visit is recorded on the entry stamp by Botswana immigration officials and may be less than 90 days.
How can I get a visit visa for Botswana?
All foreigners who require visas to enter Botswana as visitors are eligible for this service.
- Go to any immigration office (contact information listed below), Botswana embassy or consulate to fill and submit Form 1 (Application for Visa) in person.
- Submit the required documents (listed below) with the application form.
Do Ghanaians need visas to Botswana?
Botswana Visa Information. The basic rule when comes to visa’s to Botswana is that visitors from Commonwealth countries do NOT require a visa before traveling to Botswana. However, citizens of Ghana, Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka DO require a visa to Botswana.