Uniswa Post Diploma Certificate in Community Health Nursing Science
The programme is offered by the Faculty of Health Sciences, at the Mbabane Campus. The duration of the full-time Certificate in Midwifery Science shall be one academic year of study. Each subject shall divide its total instruction time (individual or combined lectures, practicals, tutorials, projects, etc) into full courses and/or half courses. Normally a full course shall have approximately twice the content as the half course. The duration of the academic plus clinical practicum will be 45 weeks.
Courses offered include Research Methods, Community Health Dynamics, Health Assessment Diagnosis and Treatment, Aspects of Community Health Nursing Science, Aspects of Law for Health Practice, Health Services Management, Practicum and Ethos and Professional Practice of Community Health.
Department of Community Health Nursing Science
The mission of the Department of Health Nursing Science is to prepare graduates who will be able to serve in diverse societies, with particular attention to the Swaziland context, in the prevention of diseases and injuries promotion, maintenance and restoration of health/mental health of individuals, families and communities. It strives to ensure that the graduates acquire the necessary competence which will enable them to carry out effective assessment of health/mental health concerns and problems; planning for interventions; implementation, and evaluation of the outcome.
1. Top produce graduates who are capable and competent in utilizing the nursing process in assessing, planning implementing and evaluating nursing interventions.
2. To enable students and staff to consistently and constantly discharge holistic and culture sensitive health care service to individuals, groups and families.
3. To promote the concept of primary health care in promoting the health status of communities.
4. To promote the prevention of diseases and injuries by utilizing the principles of health education at all levels of care.
5. To produce competent counselors in a bid to minimize health/mental health concerns and problems.
6. To foster the utilization of the strategies of collaboration, co-ordination, communication and co-operation, in rendering care to clientele.
7. To facilitate the demonstration knowledge and skills of scientific inquiry and the utilization of the findings thereof, in improving the quality of nursing and caring.
8. To promote professional excellence through the provision of continuing education opportunities.