Uniswa Post Diploma Certificate in Midwifery Science
The programme is offered by the Faculty of Health Sciences, at the Mbabane Campus. The duration of the full-time Certificate in Midwifery Science shall be one academic year of study. Each subject shall divide its total instruction time (individual or combined lectures, practicals, tutorials, projects, etc) into full courses and/or half courses. Normally a full course shall have approximately twice the content as the half course. The duration of the academic plus clinical practicum will be 45 weeks.
Courses offered include Research Methods, Normal Midwifery, Abnormal Midwifery, Community Midwifery, Health Assessment Diagnosis and Treatment, Aspects of Law for Health Practice, Practicum and Ethos and Professional Practice of Midwifery.
Department of Midwifery Science
The Mission of the Department of Midwifery Nursing Science is to prepare graduates who can function effectively in all health care service deliveries, focusing on giving the necessary care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period, and to newly born infants and the under-five child. The department also intends to prepare nurse-midwives to function in a leadership role in health planning, administration, manpower development and conduct research.
1. To produce graduates who are able to utilise the nursing process to care for individuals, families and communities experiencing a variety of self-care requisites at various points on the health/illness continuum.
2. To engage in programmes intended to provide primary, secondary and tertiary health in midwifery to the individual, family and community.
3. To promote responsibility and accountability in professional midwifery practice by evaluating results of nursing action in order to improve nursing care standards.
4. To collaborate with other relevant sectors to maximize the well-being of clients.
5. To work with communities in identifying community health needs with a view to developing and implementing programmes to address them.
6. To promote the practice of midwifery within the legislative framework of the Kingdom of Swaziland.
7. To carryout research and utilise findings in improving midwifery standards.
8. To participate in professional organisations for the advancement of the profession and client care.