University of Malawi – College of Medicine Bursaries or Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarship in Medicine and Life Sciences on Trialect
Field of Interest
Allergy, Oncology, Cancer, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Genetics, Immunology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Neurosciences, Orthopedics, Nephrology, Neurology, Critical Care Medicine, Pulmonology, Emergency Medicine, Infertility, Infectious Diseases, Molecular Biology, Global Health, Tropical Diseases, Hepatology, Hematology, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Diabetes, Pathology, Public Health, Ophthalmology, Microbiology, Radiology, Anesthesia, Stem cells, Informatics, Data, Cell biology, all other fields
Gates Cambridge Scholarship – Non- US Scholars-Life Sciences
Next Generation Sequencing Course
Dates: 26 to 28 July 2017
Applications are being invited from eligible candidates to apply for a Bioinformatics training in Next Generation Sequencing course to be held atCollege of Medicine from 26 to 28 July 2017. The Malawi-Liverpool Welcome Trust Training grant is funding the training courses. Successful applicants will be awarded scholarships to cover course fees subject to terms and conditions.
Successful applicants will cover their own transport and accommodation cost to and from the training.
This course is one of series of training courses that are running from 2016 to 2017. The aim of the training courses is to equip scientist and researchers with Bioinformatics knowledge and skills to enable them address biological questions in their research areas. It is also aimed at introducing the field of Bioinformatics
to upcoming scientists who may wish to study and specialize in Bioinformatics field.
The course is aimed at researchers, lecturers and students in mathematical, medical and biological sciences. Examples of these fields include but are not
limited to Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Medical Sciences, Medicine, Informatics, Statistics, Biology and Chemistry.
Applicants have to show that:
• they are working in a field that requires application of Bioinformatics techniques;
• students have to demonstrate intent to enroll in Bioinformatics specialty in the nearest future;
• they are interested in Bioinformatics research;
• they are doing research that requires Bioinformatics skills and knowledge or
• they are in a position to transfer Bioinformatics knowledge to others in their work environment.
• 20 trainees will be admitted into each training.
Next Generation Sequencing
• Duration: 3 days, full time
• Dates: 26 to 28 July 2017
What is the course about?
- DNA sequencing
- NGS sequencing technologies
- Sequence quality evaluation
- NGS data visualization
- RNA-seq data processing and sequence mapping
- Differential expression and SNP calling
• College of Medicine, Blantyre, Malawi
• Successful applicants will be awarded scholarships to cover the training fees through funding from the Malawi-Liverpool Wellcome Trust Training Grant subject to terms and conditions
• The course fees will include lunch, refreshments and training materials
• Accommodation and transport for participants is NOT included in the course.
• There will be no allowances or per diems that will be given to participants for attending the training.
How to apply
To apply for the training send your CV and motivation via email to Mrs Mercy Chavura on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Applications are due on 15th July 2017
• Applicants will be informed about the outcome of their application by 20th July 2017
• Successful applications to be awarded scholarships for the course fees will be required to sign a legally binding agreement by 23 June 2017