Registration is the act of enrolling in something, like a school. There is also registration for voters and drivers and people attending a conference. In life, there are some things anybody can do at any time; for other things you have to go through registration first.
Vehicle registration in the Government vehicle registration system, to facilitate the issuance of registration book and vehicle license disk.
Who is eligible?
Citizens and residents who own a vehicle.
How do I get this service?
- Download and complete the Vehicle Registration Form(RV 1) form, then attach the clearance form from Botswana Police Service and BURS.
- If the applicant is registering a vehicle that is more than three years and above (from the year of manufacture), it must have passed a roadworthiness test. All vehicles must have customs clearance too.
- Pay the prescribed fee as per the vehicle weight including a levy of BWP50.00.
- It is mandatory for vehicle licenses to be renewed annually, ideally 3 months before expiry.
What supporting documents are required?
- Valid applicable identity.
- Police Clearance Certificate.
- The required fee is as per vehicle weight.
- Note: Roadworthiness test is compulsory for vehicles three years and above (from the year of manufacture).
- Customs clearance.
How long will this service take?
How much does it cost?
As per the pricing schedule for Vehicle Registration and Licencing (see gazetted fees).
Where can I obtain this service?
Department of Road Transport and Safety Offices around the country.
Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays.
Where can I get more information on this Service
Department of Road Transport and Safety
Public Relations Office
Botswana Savings Bank Building
Private Bag 0054
Tel. (267) 368-8600
What are the requirements for motor registration?
Your general requirements would be:
- LTO Copy and electronically-transmitted appropriate insurance Certificate of Cover (Third Party Liability)
- Duly accomplished Original Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR)
- Original copy of Certificate of Emission Compliance (CEC)
How to import a car into Botswana?
Currently, Botswana does not impose any restrictions on the importation or exportation of motor vehicles. Motor vehicles imported on a temporary basis into Botswana should be imported under cover of a Temporary Import Permit issued by BURS at the time of importation or an ATA Carnet.
What is the meaning of BX in Botswana government cars?
Botswana Government. @BWGovernment. . It was established that Former President Khama continued to use vehicle registration numbers reserved for both the sitting President and Vice President. BX 0001 and BX 0002, as per CTO VIP protocols are reserved for the President and Vice President respectively.
How much is the import duty for cars in Botswana?
Duties and taxes
Only one car per family is duty-free. Subsequent entries or more than one car per family are subject to 15 percent – 20 percent VAT of CIF Value.