2017 LASU Conference
- African languages: roles, status and relationships to other languages
- African languages and contemporary sciences
- Formal Theoretical Linguistics and African Languages
- Translation, terminology, lexicography and localisation
- Re-negotiating cultural and linguistic conflict in the contemporary world
- Sign language and Communication in African Cultures
- Speech and hearing therapies
- The role of African language in addressing ecological challenges
- Language documentation
- Languages, ethics and social media
- The future of forensic linguistics in Africa
- Discourse Analysis
The conference will be organised in two parallel sessions. There will be two keynote presentations at the opening of the conference.
It is expected that the conference proceedings will help people to understand the importance of language and linguistics in Africa. Selected papers from the conference will be published in the Journal of the Linguistics Association of SADC Universities (LASU).
Researchers are asked to submit abstracts in English. Abstracts should not exceed 300 words. The abstracts should be submitted through email. Abstracts should clearly state the research problem, objectives, methodology and conclusions. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is 7th April, 2017. Notification of acceptance of abstracts will be sent on the 24th of April, 2017. Presentation notes/ PowerPoint/ soft copies of posters will be expected by 8th September, 2017 in order to facilitate preparations.
Conference organisers will not provide accommodation but will provide a link through the college website for suitable and affordable accommodation close to Chancellor College.
-Students will be required to pay K2000, while other local delegates will pay K15000.
-Students will be required to pay $100, while other international delegates will pay $200 registration fees.
- Dr Timwa Lipenga-Garnet (Chairperson)
- Mrs Towera Mwathunga (Office of the Registrar)
- Dr Emmanuel Ngwira
- Mr Lawrence Mpekansambo
- Mrs Esela Munthali
- Dr Winfred Mkochi
- Dr Mervis Kamanga
- Mr Mazunzo Chimasula
- Dr Edith Shame
- Mr Jimmy Kainja
- Dr Grivas Kayange
- Mr Mastone Mbewe
- Mrs Alinane Mphande
Dr. Timwa Lipenga-Garnet