Organizational Development/Capacity Development Specialist,
Zambia ‘HIV Prevention for Key and Targeted Populations’ project
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Organizational Development (OD) / Capacity Development (CD) Specialist on an anticipated five-year USAID-funded project in Zambia, to work at the community level to implement evidence-based HIV prevention services for targeted populations and Key Populations (e.g. sex workers, MSM, TGs, etc.). The project will ensure completed referrals and linkages to high impact biomedical prevention services as well as referrals for treatment for people living with HIV (PLHIV) at health facilities.
Working with the Chief of Party and other technical specialists on the Project team, the OD/CD Specialist will be responsible for strengthening the organizational and technical capacity of program partners in such fields as governance and organizational sustainability, financial management, award compliance, administration, human resources, monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and constituency building, among others according to the particular institutional needs. This position will report to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and implementation of OD/CD strategies for the project.
- Design and conduct participatory technical and organizational capacity assessments destined for key partners and KP service providers in the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Analyze the organizational development needs of partners and help them develop tailored Institutional Improvement Plans (IIP).
- Monitor implementation of the IIPs and facilitate the process of updating them, as needed.
- Based on needs of local organizations and stakeholders, identify and design efforts to strengthen their capacities.
- Coordinate the provision of technical assistance (TA) and OD support to the partners, including soliciting their feedback on the quality and timeliness of that support.
- Deliver individualized CD/OD support to partners in identified areas of need.
- Monitor changes in partners’ institutional and technical capacity and offer recommendations on appropriate CD/OD support and follow-up.
- Contribute OD/CD-related inputs to project work plans, budgets, reports, etc.
- Develop tools, guidance and other documents/products relative to project OD/CD, such as training programs, resource materials, presentations, etc.
- Troubleshoot to help identify and resolve project issues related to OD/CD, thus ensuring the project stays on schedule and within budget as well as attains its broader objectives related to sustainability and local ownership.
Desired knowledge, skills and attributes:
- Proven expertise in Organizational Development/Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Development – both in terms of the theories, concepts and tools as well as facilitation, mentoring and training skills.
- Familiarity with USAID-funded programs, USG rules/regulations and donor priorities.
- Demonstrated ability, through previous experience, to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability, through previous experience, to liaise with senior government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, and the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community.
- In-depth knowledge of the Zambian civil society sector.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English; and proficiency in one or more local languages.
- Relevant computer software skills including, at a minimum, proficiency with the Microsoft Office package.
- Ability to travel within the country (to field sites) at least 25% of the time.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, with an advanced degree preferred.
- At least five years of experience in program management and organizational development, with a focus on capacity development in the NGO sector.
- Demonstrated experience in OD/CD for civil society organizations (CSOs), including designing and implementing trainings for CSOs, delivering OD support, technical assistance, and/or mentoring CSOs.
FHI 360 offers a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Important Note: Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment or fees should be treated with extreme caution, viewed as potentially fraudulent and reported immediately.