LUANAR : Vacancies 2017
The Feed the Future Innovation Lab: Collaborative Research on Global Nutrition- Africa (Nutrition Innovation Lab) is centered at Tufts University in Boston, USA. The Nutrition Innovation Lab at Tufts University is working with the faculty of Food and Human Sciences at LUANAR, Malawi to implement a Feed the Future project titled “Nutrition Capacity Development to Meet National Priorities”.
The project is implementing the following activities in Malawi:
• Curriculum Review of nutrition in higher education, as requested by the Ministry of Health
• Assisting with establishment of a dietetics program at LUANAR, in collaboration with the College of Medicine and other partners
• Faculty development at LUANAR
• Construction of new Malawi-specific food composition tables
The project is seeking to recruit qualified candidates to fill the following positions available for one year:
1. In-Country Projector coordinator.
• Represent the Feed the Future Nutrition Innovation Lab in all relevant events, meetings, activities, prepare and make presentations as necessary.
• Provide administrative responsibilities that include, paperwork processing information at LUANAR for students and the Nutrition Innovation Lab; scheduling meetings for all team members; assisting with invoice preparation; writing reports; tracking report requirements; organizing office space for all team members; writing and typing minutes, and track and coordinate all procurement and purchasing for all projects.
• Maintain budget and track all spending related to the project. Report monthly tracking to team members in Boston and USAID
• Serve as liaison between USAID mission, the Nutrition Lab management entity (Tufts University), and national and international stakeholders in Malawi.
• Provide weekly reporting of activities to the Program Manager and Assistant Program Director through email and Skype and Monthly written updates via email.
• Adhere to all Tufts University rules including financial reporting and submission of all expenses.
• Assist in any additional activities as required by the USAID Mission partner.
BSc Degree with Nutrition Coursework; Management Experience is an added advantage. Ability to travel to different work sites and professional interaction.
2. Data manager/Officer
a) Work with the Food composition coordinator and external consultants in setting up the Malawian food composition database.
b) Work with consultants in the development of protocols for review of existing food composition tables
c) Develop and undertake the activity for transferring existing food composition data in hard copy into electronic format.
d) Develop a plan for monitoring and updating the electronic data base
e) Develop an electronic interface for the database
f) Work with the Food composition coordinator in interacting with food science faculty and other analytical faculty that may have updated data on different foods
g) Collaborate with chosen recognized consultants who will help set up and design this program.
h) Facilitate with the production of project reports with statistical analysis, graphs, tables e.t.c
i) Support the Food composition Coordinator in stakeholder meetings and presentations
j) Any other duties necessary for the successful running of a Food Composition Data program in Malawi
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or Advanced Diploma in Information Technology.
• Proficient in computer programming, SQL, Excel, Access, and website formats.
• Knowledge in Nutrition or Statistics would be an added advantage.
• Years of related experience required: 1-3 years. Experience managing large data sets required.
3. Supervising Clinical Dietician
The Supervising clinical dietician position will provide leadership and coordination for the program, lectures at LUANAR (Bunda campus), College of Medicine (Lilongwe campus). The incumbent will be required to travel to a variety of clinical attachment sites to provide clinical instruction and evaluation of the dietetic students in each of their supervised practice rotations. This position is available from March, 2017 through December 2018.
• Masters of Science degree in Food and Nutrition sciences.
• Registration as a Dietitian from an accredited program.
• At least 5 years of strong clinical experience in clinical dietetics and an in-depth knowledge of patient care and nutrition practices influencing health care outcomes.
• University teaching experience and student mentoring.
• Experience in project coordination, particularly in low-income countries.
• Candidates must be able to continue LUANAR’s high- level of dialogue with national government stakeholders, non-governmental agencies, and international professional/academic organizations.
• Teach Medical Nutrition Therapy and Nutrition Counseling & Behavior Change courses to first year students.
• Implement and evaluate supervised dietetic practice rotations for the first time in Malawi.
• Supervise, instruct, mentor and evaluate second year students in supervised practice at multiple sites.
• Collaborate and coordinate with program stakeholders and consultants in Malawi and abroad.
• Maintain own competencies in clinical nutrition.
• Build local capacity to sustain the dietetics program by teaching and collaborating with faculty colleagues at LUANAR and College of Medicine.
• Other duties as needed to support development of the program.
Mode of application
Applicants must send: (1) a letter of application, including a description of experience managing and compiling data; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three professional referees whom the University may contact; and (4) copies of certificates. These documents should be sent to the following address not later than 17th February, 2017.
The Dean of Faculty,
Faculty of Food and Human Sciences,