IRRI-China Scholarship Sandwich 2017 Doctoral Degree Scholarship
Applications are currently been accepted at The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and they are calling on applicants for its China Scholarship Council Sandwich Doctoral Degree Scholarship. The scholarship is available for Chinese Students.This scholarship is with the objective of supporting Chinese students who want to pursue Doctoral Degree Training and Visiting Scientist/Research Program at IRRI.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is an international agricultural research and training organization with headquarters in Los Baños, Laguna in the Philippines and offices in seventeen countries with ~1,300 staff.
Level: doctoral degree training and Visiting Scientist/Research Programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in the following fields:
- Advanced plant genetics and rice breeding.
- Functional genomics and gene discovery.
- Ex situ germplasm conservation and allele discovery.
- Bioinformatics and database management.
- Application of rice cell engineering and transgenic technology in germplasm improvement and gene discovery.
- Crop physiology for yield improvement and tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Adaptation and mitigation of the impact of climate change.
- Water use efficiency and water management.
- Grain quality and nutrition.
- Crop modelling and applied photosynthesis research.
- Soil sciences and crop nutrient management.
- Weed Science.
- Application of geological information systems (GIS) and remote sensing technologies
Social sciences and agricultural economics.
Institution: International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
Scholarship Award: Scholarship will cover the following:
- 6 to 24 months for “Sandwich” Doctoral Degree Training.
- Up to 12 months for visiting scientists/ fellowship program.
Scholarship can be taken in the Philippines
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Candidates will be citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application.
- The candidates should not be more than 35 years old at the time of application.
Candidates must not be currently working or studying abroad.
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research.
- Candidates must hold an unconditional offer letter (for co-supervised “sandwich” PhD candidates)/invitation letter (for visiting scientists) at IRRI. They must, therefore, fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by IRRI, including a high level of English language proficiency.
- Co-supervised “sandwich” PhD candidates normally should be a registered PhD students in China, and the Visiting Scientists should be a current employee of a Chinese university/research institute.
- Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority research areas identified by IRRI and CSC. However, applicants to other research areas will also be considered. The support research areas are also subject to the availability of relevant research programs at IRRI.
- Candidates should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC by completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form at http://apply.csc.edu.cn/.
- All Visiting Scientists candidates should have a PhD degree in relevant field conferred within three years of the time of application. The visiting scientist’s candidates should be part of the collaborative research program between IRRI and China.
Nationality: Chinese applicants are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a PhD degree.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English and have a Certificate of English Proficiency (PETS5, TOEFL, GRE, TSE, IELTS).
How to Apply: Applicants can apply through both post or online:
- Applicants should directly apply to the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) at any time of the year.
- Following documents should be submitted to IRRI:
- Application letter.
- Filled out IRRI application form.
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Certificate of English Proficiency (PETS5, TOEFL, GRE, TSE, IELTS).
- Transcript of Records.
- Certificate of Employment (for Visiting Scientist Research Program applicants only).
- Letter of Assessment from an expert of the same research area.
Application Deadline: The application deadline for “Sandwich” Doctoral Degree Training – January 31 of each year and for visiting scientists/ fellowship program – November 30 of each year.