UNIMA 2017 Job Vacancy Pro Vice-Chancellor
In the exercise of its statutory powers as provided in Section 10 of the University of Malawi (Amended) Act of 1998, the Council for the University of Malawi is hereby inviting interested and suitably qualified academicians and reputed scholars to fill the post of Vice-Chancellor which will soon become vacant.
The University of Malawi (UNIMA) is a public educational Institution established in 1965. UNIMA runs four constituent colleges located in Zomba, Blantyre and Lilongwe. UNIMA is an accredited higher education institution. It offers courses and programmes leading to higher education qualifications i.e. certificates, diplomas, bachelors, honours, masters, and doctorate degrees hi a wide range area of study. UNIMA also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, sport facilities and exchange programmes. UNIMA has capacity to enroll over 100 000 students.
General Description of the Job
The Pro vice-Chancellor shall, (in accordance with Section 15(4) of the Act) deputise the Vice-Chancellor in the academic management of the University, including the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, teaching and research programmes.
Functions and Responsibilities
The successful candidate shall be entrusted with the function of playing a leading role in the development, implementation and monitoring of the University’s Strategic Plan; directing research and development (R&D) in sync with the national development goals, besides, assessing and improving the quality of R&D outputs and outcomes; and managing processes for continuous quality improvement.
Qualifications and Attributes
The post of Pro Vice-Chancellor is one of the senior positions in the University of Malawi. it therefore, carries with it an attractive package of remuneration commensurate with the demanding nature of its responsibilities. A candidate shall be the person who not only possesses a PhD degree from a reputable university in his/her field of specialization but also:
- has experience serving as a Faculty Dean and University College Principal for at least seven (7) years;
- has a thorough understanding of the core functions of the University;
- is able to recognize opportunities and work on them to the best advantage of the University;
- is capable of maintaining positive relationships with internal and external parties;
- is familiar with the challenges currently lacing Universities and is aware of global trends in higher education; is at motivational leader, able to enthuse staff at all levels
- is able to create successful teams and oversee numerous projects and staff;
- has demonstrable capacity to initiate academic and managerial innovations geared at making the University of Malawi world-class citadel of learning, where academic excellence is dispensed with good morals
- open-minded, willing to learn from members of his/her team; and
- is fully conversant with widely acceptable academic practices which relate to the following:
- determination of teaching leads that can lead to optimal utilization of staff members;
- come up with meaningful staff to student ratios;
- Craft innovative ways to offer flexible higher education to those who may not be able to study full time but have the capacity to pay for their education
- conduct consultative curricula reviews;
- implement staff performance management meant to enhance productivity and accountability;
- enforce standards and quality assurance;
- facilitate accreditation and affiliation;
- explore commodification of higher education;
- increase access and equity in higher education;
- maintain robust academic governance.
Tenure of the Post and Remuneration Package
The successful candidate shall be on a four-year contract that is renewable through interviews at the end of the four years. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above conditions should submit their applications (3 copies), together with derailed curriculum vitae duly signed and dated not later than 23rd August, 2017.
The curriculum vitae must include the candidate’s names in full; date of birth; academic qualifications; teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience; academic distinctions achieved; profile of resource mobilised through own initiative; membership of academic and professional bodies, number of post-graduate research students supervised; scholarly publication; names and addresses of three referees with their e-mail and postal addresses; and any other relevant information.
The hard copies of the application should be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked “Post of UNIMA Pro Vice-Chancellor’ at the upper left hand corner to:
- The University Registrar,
- University of Malawi,
- P.O. Box 278,
Electronic submission of the application and accompanying materials should be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading: Application for the Post of UNIMA Pro Vice-Chancellor.
Deadline: 23 August, 2017