Medcol Jobs 2017 : Research Nurse Manager (2) One Per Research Site
Training and Research Unit of Excellence (TRUE) is a young and vibrant research group at the College of Medicine specializing in high quality malaria and anemia research. Among other research studies, the unit will conduct a new study in Intermittent Preventive Treatment with DHA-piperaquine for malaria in pregnancy in areas with high sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in Africa in Chikhwawa and Mangochi hospitals.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates in the new study:
To be responsible for the provision of quality nursing care by all study nurses/midwives in any of their places of work. To line-manage all the nursing staff in respect of staffing, appointments, rosters and procedures and to represent the nurses at management meetings and other occasions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure good quality general nursing care to participants according to ward and clinic protocols, and provide support to study participants through the course of participation in the study where research nurses shall be working.
- To maintain confidentiality of participant records and respect participants’ privacy and rights.
- To maintain infection control procedures at all times according to ward and hospital protocols.
- To ensure the well-being of the participant is prioritized and participation is in accordance with principles of Good Clinical Practice.
- To ensure informed consent is continually provided to participants through the course of their participation in the study.
- To keep clear and up-to date patient records at all times.
- To be observant and vigilant regarding the clinical care of the participant in accordance with standards of care, best practices and the study protocol.
- To attend seminars and meetings both external and internal as available and as requested.
- To manage all nursing matters at the study site.
- To ensure correct procedures are carried out at all times and by the appropriate staff.
- To ensure staffing levels are appropriate at all times.
- To ensure protocols are in place to the standard of current best practice.
- To be responsible for health and safety standards for both staff and participants.
- To ensure Control of Infection measures are in place and are adhered to.
- To ensure appraisals are carried out for all nursing staff as appropriate.
- To ensure duties are allocated effectively and efficiently.
- To be responsible through the line managers for the safe keeping of funds and the allocation thereof to participants.
- To act as Health and Safety Officer for Nursing.
- To give advice and assistance to all nurses when necessary.
- To advise on the study management team on the need for new standard operating procedures and update existing procedures as necessary.
- To be responsible for discipline and instigate stage 1 disciplinary procedures, and take part in further disciplinary procedures as necessary.
- To be responsible for drug stock monitoring procedures in all areas as appropriate.
- To undertake dispensing of study drug to the participants.
- To record and report any drug dispensing errors to the Consultant on duty.
- To advise on nursing matters at weekly management meetings
- Undertake other managerial and administrative duties at the site as may be assigned from time to time by the Programme Manager, Study coordinator, Site investigator or PI from time to time.
- To ensure preparation for study clinic visits and drug dispensing, ensuring all drugs in use are available and not out of date.
- Liaise with the site study team and MoH Facility team on clinical care of participants.
- To ensure that participant care is conducted in line with the study protocol, principles of Good Clinical Practice and acceptable standard of care.
- Obtain clear information from the patient/ guardian to ensure proper patient management.
- To obtain full informed consent.
- To ensure that all study notes, laboratory test results are properly documented in the study forms and correctly stored
- To administer all medication on time and monitor for, and record adverse and side- effects
- To perform any other tasks deemed to be within the capacity of a nurse and incidental to the successful implementation of the study from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery and 2yrs research experience at a managerial position.
- Valid GCP certificate and prior experience in clinical trials of Malaria in Pregnancy would be an added advantage.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates, detailed CVs and names of three traceable referees to:
College of Medicine,
Electronic submissions should be sent to the following e-mail address:
email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicate the name of the study as IMPROVE Study on the envelope for hard copy applications and indicate the same in the subject line of your email for electronic submissions.
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 28th February, 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.