MUST New Job Vacancies 2016
Exciting and challenging job opportunities have arisen at the Malawi University of Science and Technology (MUST) for suitably qualified and experienced individuals who would like to contribute to the growth of the University.
MUST is a new University and the fourth Public University established by the Government of Malawi in December, 2012. It was officially opened on 24th October, 2014. The University is situated in the Southern part of Malawi in the beautiful highlands of Thyolo District about 27 kilometres East of Blantyre City.
MUST has five Schools: Malawi Institute of Engineering Technology; Ndata School of Climate and Earth Sciences; Academy of Medical Sciences; Bingu School of African Culture and Heritage; and School of Information and Technology. Through these Schools, The University is offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in various disciplines. The University has capacity to enrol over 5,000 students.
The University would like to engage suitably qualified persons to fill the following positions tenable in Ndata School of Climate and Earth Sciences:
- Professor/Reader(Associate Professor)/ Senior Lecturer/Lecturer/Staff Associate
MUST has academic vacancies on permanent or contract basis. The University is looking for qualified persons who can teach and conduct research in two or more of the areas listed below:
- Geo-Information Science
- Earth Sciences (Geo-Physics)
- Earth Sciences (Geo-Chemistry)
- Earth Sciences (Petrology and Mineralogy)
- Earth Sciences (Geological Mapping and Mineral Exploration)
- Earth Sciences (Hydrogeology/Hydrology)
- Energy Resources (Geo-thermal/Petroleum/Coal/Renewable Energy)
- Mining Governance
- Earth Sciences (Environmental and Engineering Geology)
- Disaster Risk Management
The University is looking for candidates with a proven track record of commitment, excellence in teaching, research and resource mobilization.
Functions and Responsibilities
The main purpose for all the above academic positions is to teach at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels depending on the position.
The core elements of the job shall be as follows:
- Teaching and devising best learning approaches for students
- Assessing students’ academic work and doing students’ supervision
- Carry out research, consultancy and outreach activities
- Scholarly publishing
- Participating in curriculum development/revision and provide guidance to students
- Senior academics are expected to mentor young and upcoming academics
Qualifications, Attributes and Experience
Interested candidates should possess the following attributes:
Candidates must be those with strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contribution to teaching and research
Candidates must have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Those with proven record of ability to attract funding, conduct high quality research which is reflected in the authorship of high quality publications, or other research outputs in their relevant fields shall have added advantage
Candidates must have ability to work collaboratively
- PhD in relevant field for those applying for Professorship and Reader positions
- PhD or Masters Degree in relevant field for positions lower than Reader
- A Distinction or Credit or First Class Degree for those applying for positions of Staff Associate
- e)Previous Experience
Research experience in relevant field; Teaching and Assessment of students work at undergraduate or postgraduate level at tertiary education institutions; Curriculum design; Engagement with scholarly/professional community and pastoral care of students
Essential: Commitment to academic research; high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students; continuous professional development, and ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and partners from outside the institution and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
Desirable: Willingness to be committed to the Vision and Mission of the Malawi University of Science and Technology.
MUST is looking for suitably qualified individuals to fill the following positions:
- Cartography Technician
- Geological Technician
- Lapidary Technician
- Weather and Climate Science Technician
Functions and Responsibilities
The Technician will assist the Head of Department in the following laboratory/workshop functions and responsibilities:
- Ensuring the functionality and safety of the laboratory
- Assisting in Carrying out experiments and research projects
- Recording the results of experiments as assigned
- Presenting research findings to relevant parties
- Assisting students with research projects
- Demonstrating methods and experiments to students
- Controlling materials kept in stock
- Ensuring machines and materials are ready for use
- Maintaining and repairing machines and equipment
- Managing the lab timetable and scheduling machine use
Qualifications, Attributes and Experience
Interested candidates should have the following qualifications, attributes and experience:
- Cartography Technician: A minimum of Diploma in Cartography/GIS or related field with at least 2 years work experience in GIS or Cartography Laboratory. Good oral and written communication skills; and demonstration and presentation skills. Those with bachelor’s degree will have an added advantage.
- Geological Technician: A minimum of Diploma in Geology or related field with at least 2 years work experience in geological mapping, mineral exploration and geological field preparation. Good oral and written communication skills; and demonstration and presentation skills. Those with bachelor’s degree will have an added advantage.
- Lapidary Technician: A minimum of Diploma in Geology/Gemology or related field with at least 2 years work experience in thin section preparation, gemstone identification, dimension stone production and field sample management. Good oral and written communication skills; and demonstration and presentation skills. Those with bachelor’s degree will have an added advantage.
- Weather and Climate Technician: A minimum of Diploma in climate related field with at least 2 years work experience in weather instruments and weather station management. Good oral and written communication skills; and demonstration and presentation skills. Those with bachelor’s degree will have an added advantage.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and attributes should submit their applications, together with detailed curricula vitae duly signed and dated not later than 30th April, 2016.
For all positions above, the curriculum vitae must include the following: the candidate’s names in full; date of birth; academic qualifications; work experience; and names and e-mail addresses of three referees.
For academic positions above, the curriculum vitae should also include the following in addition to the above information: experiences in teaching, research, outreach/community engagement services, administration/management, resource mobilization, scholarly publications.
All applications must be submitted to:
Malawi University of Science and Technology
P O Box 5196
- Applications for the positions of Professor, Associate Professor and Senior Lecturer ONLY can also be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No electronic applications will be processed for the position of Lecturer, Staff Associate and Technician.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.